Skip to main content

Stomach Issues are never fun especially on a run

I set out Saturday to do a 14 mile run. I had the course all mapped out in my head. My pack was stocked with enough water and fruit. My kids were at home with my sister. Everything was in its place.

Or so I thought. Around mile 8 I started to have major stomach issues. This set a bad tone for the rest of my run. I was able to run another few miles but by mile 11 I was just done. I could not force myself to keep running. Since I thought I was running 14 miles that day I had about 3 miles to walk home. If you know me walking is not a strong point. I get really frustrated when I have to walk places because well I'd rather be running. I was thankful that time was still on my side. I had a speaker jam to set up for that day but I did not have to be there until 11.

My 60 minute run the following day was great. I did not eat anything before my run. I did not bring any water I did not bring anything at all in fact and it was lovely. Not all training runs will go as planned. I keep learning that. Race day is coming up quick. Training runs are getting shorter and shorter. I need to trust in my training now even if every run wasn't great ,I was still out there and I was committed.


  1. It would be worth making a note of what you ate before the stomach issues. Sometimes they can be for no reason, but if it was from something you ate, you could maybe reduce the chances of them happening again.

    Nice pictures by the way, looks like a lovely place to run..

    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    2. Thanks James! I certainly did make note of what I ate the day before and it was something that was a bit out of the norm for me so that will not be happening again! Even if the crispy tofu Vietnamese hoagie wasn't to blame I will not be eating them on days before a long run.

      Thank you for the read and the picture comment!


Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What to Pack for a Ragnar Trail Relay?

Months ago when we decided to sign up for the Ragnar Trail Relay in West Virginia I started a list on my phone of what I wanted to pack. I have been known for being a list maker. Thankfully I am not alone in my list making when more than half of my team has an Engineering background it turns out we are all pretty listy. Our one team member even set up a google doc of what to pack so that we can all edit it. I know I'm a nerd but I love being prepared and I love being organized.

I started packing over the weekend when I knew I wouldn't be wearing most of my running clothes until race day. For the Relay I will be running 3 times so I made sure to pack three complete running outfits. I found a really helpful tip online to place each outfit in a gallon ziplock bag so I wont have to be searching for everything in the middle of the night or while someone else may be sleeping. The event will be all day and all night so I needed to make sure I packed a headlamp and extra batteries. I …

50 Miles of Bliss!

I can not possibly put into words the exact feelings I had about crossing the finish line of the NorthFace Endurance Challenge in DC over the weekend. I trained long and hard for this event. I doubted myself over and over again during the weeks leading up to 4/28/18 but knew I had to give it a go. 

Driving down to DC the night before the race with my husband and friends I started to feel excited but my nerves were still high. I was thrilled that my husband and Kelly came down to support Miki and I as we attempted another 50 miler. 
Lets back track for a moment. In 2016 I trained for a 50 mile event that had a 14 hour cut off. The race was a total wash. It rained the entire week before the race and then the whole duration of the event. The trail conditions were so poor that it made running extremely difficult for me. I spent hours and hours walking a sliding in the mud. My attitude was terrible. I had such high hopes for that event and they were crushed by poor weather. I crossed the fin…

No Lunch Run for Me

Yesterday I was unable to run during my lunch break. My first reaction was self pity but then I quickly had to realize my little girl and her health are far more important. My daughter has been sick on and off for a few weeks and her breathing was very labored and I knew she had to go back to the doctor. Thankfully I was able to get her an appointment that day but it meant leaving work for a few hours and missing my lunch hour. When I start a training plan I tend to get a little obsessive about sticking to as much as I can. I don't know when I became such a rule follower. I have a good friend that I get to work with each day and he came to my rescue yesterday and put me in my place and out of my pity party. Thank you. I need to remember that things are going to change and everything can not always go as planned. When I have acceptance my life is far more serene. So at the end of the day yesterday I did not get to run or even do an alternate workout like I had planned because my hu…